This post is a departure from my traditional blogging topics. Although we encounter any number of opportunities to improve our emotional intelligence, I think the One Million Moms (OMM) movement is one of those cherished occasions when we can have an Ah-ha (or even an mm-hm) moment.
Haters are motivators, to paraphrase Ellen.
I have posted a copy of the OMM organization’s (http://www.OneMillionMoms.com) letter (below) which is available on their website. I made very minimal changes to my re-post, except to add another dimension to the topic. I changed Ellen‘s name to Beyonce and homosexual to black. You are welcome to make your own substitutions. (Quite a number of them will work just fine.) I did this because I was wondering how I could send a clear message to this organization that would help them understand why JC Penney may not be listening to them. After all, they “stated their concerns in a kind, professional manner.” It appears that JC Penney is “insulting customers by ignoring” them and JC Penney doesn’t “appreciate our business.” The group goes on to demand that JC Penney should listen to them in a more “considerate fashion.”
I thought if I changed the focus of their hatred to something more socially and politically incorrect, something less acceptable as a target of bullying, they would be more capable of understanding why JP Penney chooses to ignore them.
HEADLINE: JC Penney is Now Insulting Its Customers
OMM [OneMillionMoms]began contacting JC Penney after the store announced that singer Beyonce would become the company’s new spokesperson. Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring a black spokeswoman will help their business when most of its customers are white. As consumers, what we find tragic is a corporate office and customer service department that not only transfers customers to voice mail, but even hangs up on them rather than verses hearing their concerns.
It is absurd to think that a company would find treating customers in this fashion an acceptable behavior. Our members stated their concerns in a kind, professional manner. Insulting customers by ignoring us will not be tolerated. OMM members can shop elsewhere if JC Penney does not appreciate our business. Unless JC Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war and listen to customers in a considerate fashion, their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.
Beyonce is not a true representation of the type of families who shop at the retailer. The small percentage of customers they are attempting to satisfy will not offset their loss in sales by offending the majority.
Since JC Penney won’t listen to us nationally, it is time we let them hear from us locally!
I shall leave this topic for now. I will return to it, however, from time to time, if I believe a message from me can help to further the cause of human rights, anywhere. We have candidates for president of these United States campaigning for office using discrimination and hatred as an integral plank in their national platforms.These people receive applause and are re-booked to speak elsewhere when they should be shunned and ignored. They write speeches, books, campaign slogans and make YouTube videos encouraging others to hate and harm other Americans. In a country where human rights are given at birth, why are there so many people who smile broadly and clap their hands together at hearing this message of hatred, prejudice, discrimination, marginalization and bigotry? Is freedom and safety only available to some Americans?
We should never stand by when people are being psychologically and physically harmed. We should never divert our attention when people, especially minorities, are the objects of bullying and discrimination. A significant purpose of establishing and protecting civil rights is not only to promote the idea that people can behave in a civilized manner, but more importantly to protect the rights and freedoms of minorities against the whim and will of the majority. If we depended on the majority to establish civil rights for minority groups, we would hardly have moved ahead as a culture at all. I hope each of my readers will take h/er own position on this issue and post your own commentary on your own blog. It is a topic worth our focused dedication, no matter how we feel about it.
- JC Penney’s Hangs Up On One Million Moms (lezgetreal.com)
- JC Penney’s Hangs Up On One Million Moms (pinkbananaworld.com)
- One Million Moms Go After JC Penney for Hiring ‘Open Homosexual’ Ellen DeGeneres (towleroad.com)
- Mango and JC Penney Hook Up (fabsugar.com)
- Making The Angry Hordes Work For You: Lessons From Ellen and JC Penney (jonburg.com)
- J.C. Penney – New logo, new prices! (shopmylabel.com)
- Ellen DeGeneres Reacts To JC Penney Controversy (5min.com)
- JC Penney reveals customers’ show of support for Ellen DeGeneres (guardian.co.uk)
- JC Penney Standing By Ellen DeGeneres, Will Not Fire Her (pinkbananaworld.com)
- MNG by Mango Lands at JC Penney – 10 Fab Pieces Under $100! (fabsugar.com)
- Defending Ellen Against One Million Moms (pinkbananaworld.com)
- One Million Moms to Jc Penney: Fire Ellen, She’s Gay (maboulette.wordpress.com)
- Ellen Stands Up to Right-Wing Gay Bashing Group “One Million Moms” (alternet.org)
- Ellen Degeneres As JC Penney’s Spokeswoman Has Hate Group Furious (lezgetreal.com)
- Thank JC Penney for Standing Behind Ellen Degeneres (forcechange.com)
- JC Penney CEO Ron Johnson: ‘Ellen Shares the Same Values We Do’ – VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Ellen Stands Up to Right-Wing Gay Bashing Group (alternet.org)
- Ellen DeGeneres Rips ‘One Million Moms’ For Calling for Her Firing: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Ellen DeGeneres Stays On with JC Penney – to the Dismay of One Million Moms (celebs.gather.com)
- LGBT Activists Organize Buycotts For JC Penney In Support Of Ellen (thinkprogress.org)